DescriptionSeptember 24, Charlottesville Omni
October 1, Chesapeake Meeting Center
October 8, Hyatt Regency Dulles
October 21 Hotel Roanoke
IMPORTANT NOTE: During the registration process you will be asked to select one of the following for Breakout Session #2:
- Performance Assessments: All That Content and Designing Performance Tasks - This session will focus on the foundations of performance assessments within a Balanced Assessment Framework and how rigorous, skills-based instruction contributes to student success. Participants will explore the VDOE’s Quality Criteria Review Tool for Performance Assessment while reviewing sample performance assessments for quality.
- Using the Common Rubric & Scoring Performance Tasks- This session will focus on using the Common Rubrics to score Performance Tasks/Assessments. The difference between grading and scoring will be emphasized through the scoring of student work.
- Instruction for Deeper Understanding - This session will focus on strategies for incorporating Social Studies skills with content for deeper understanding in preparation for performance assessments.
- Overcoming Barriers to Implement High-Quality Performance Assessments - Overcoming Barriers to Implement High-Quality Performance Assessments will provide resources for selecting and modifying existing PAs from trusted partners/sources to pilot in local school divisions.
- Scoring and Rubric Calibration - This session will model the process of holding a scoring event for a common performance assessment. In addition to using student samples to evaluate a given task, participants will learn how to calibrate understanding of rubric criteria and performance descriptors in order to build capacity for inter-rater reliability in collaborative scoring.