Welcome! Science, Technology, Engineering, and Design are significant drivers for the vitality of Central Applachia. Partnering with the annual SWVA STEM Summit, this year Virginia Tech and colleagues at the University of Virginia's College at Wise, East Tennessee State University, Bluefield College, the University of Pikeville, along with Barter Theatre and others are hosting the Central Appalachia STEM Summit. We are moving our conference site to the SWVA Higher Education Center, and bringing in partners from Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia to bridge the connections between STEM and the Liberal Arts - and advance the partnerships with business and industry for economic growth in our region. This conference is open to all as an opportunity to share outstanding and innovative STEM programs, and build and expand strong partnerships to promote high quality education across the entire region!
The 2017 Summit activities include keynotes, concurrent sessions, tours, exhibits, and poster displays. Our keynotes are: The Honorable Karen R. Jackson, Secretary of Technology, Commonwealth of Virginia; Chancellor Donna Henry, The University of Virginia's College at Wise; and Megan Atkinson Hamilton, Director of Education and Founder/Director of Project Real - Barter Theatre. Our concurrent sessions engage you in innovative programming that focus on career pathways, teacher professional development, and partnership development.
Keynote Speakers - Download Speaker Bios.
- Mike Quillen, Chairman GO Virginia Region One
- Chancellor Donna Henry (on video), The University of Virginia at Wise - Josephine Rodriguez, Assistant Professor, Department of Natural Sciences UVA-Wise
- Megan Atkinson Hamilton, The Barter Theatre, Abingdon, VA
Sample Topics and Sessions
- Bridges to the Baccalaureate
- Writing in Science and Mathematics
- Explore the ETSU STEM Graduate Certificate
- Using Microsoft HoloLens Mixed-Reality Device in Curriculum Development for Washington County Virginia Schools
- School-university partnerships to developing Maker Spaces in Radford City Schools
- The Tennessee STEM Innovation Network
- Integration of Math and Computing using Open Source Software
- Integrative STEM: Developing problem-based learning curricula
- SLICE – STEM+Literacy Project
- MathElites and ScienceElites Programs
- Career Pathways in the Health Sciences
- The Virginia-Tech/Science Museum of Western Virginia Partnership
Sponsorship Opportunities - Download a sponsorship packet.
Area Lodging Information
- Comfort Inn and Suites - 276-698-3040
- Comfort Inn - 276-676-222
- Fairfield Inn and Suites - 276-619-5501
- Hampton Inn - 276-619-4600
- Country Inn and Suites - 276-676-2829
- Quality Inn and Suites - 276-676-9090
There are several Bed and Breakfast accommodations in the area. A search for Abingdon Bed and Breakfast will provide favorable results.
Area Attraction - The Barter Theatre