100659 - Explore Data Science (Rising 11-12th Graders)
If you are applying for a scholarship, please do so before registering for camp. A link to the scholarship application can be found at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuOYNQ0DyJxPL8Zwa15Ogb5DEUHSwGj3d5PU2H73wnAbK5eQ/viewform
Our modern world captures a HUGE amount of data. Companies, schools and other organizations are clamoring for data scientists to tell them what the data means and help them make good decisions for the future. Data scientists work creatively to capture, maintain, protect, process, and analyze data. They make models to predict outcomes and solutions to global problems and communicate their findings—both visually and verbally. Data science combines technical foundations with the study of human contexts and ethics of data.
- This camp is for rising 11th and 12th graders who want to explore data science before going to college! Campers will learn how to use data sets and apply their skills to interesting and important problems, e.g., to:
- understand how babies acquire language
- design better drugs to cure cancer
- track epidemics/pandemics to help protect lives
- predict when a volcano will erupt or coastlines will sink
- help sports teams make strategic decisions.
You will also get to design, analyze, and test quantum algorithms on prototype quantum computers made available by IBM on the cloud-- without using any math beyond arithmetic!
No previous programming experience is expected for this camp. Campers should have completed Algebra I and one other math class.